What the health?!

Studying at a German university is only possible if you can prove that you have sufficient health insurance coverage. Such proof is a requirement for enrollment and therefore essential for the realization of your study plans.

Whether you are a domestic student or from abroad, in the following blog article we have gathered the most essential information about health insurance coverage in Germany with our partner Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) for you. Just read on to find out what is going to be asked from you if you are looking to study in Germany.

If you come from abroad…

…it is decisive for the insurance company where you come from and whether you are still insured there (through your parents for example).

If you come from an EU or EEA country (Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) and you are insured there, you only need the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to be treated by a doctor or in hospital. All good so far!

Health insurance is moreover regulated by intergovernmental agreements with other countries. In case of Germany, these countries are:

- Bosnia-Herzegovina

- Northern Macedonia

- Montenegro

- Serbia

- Turkey

- Tunisia


The countries mentioned above do not issue an EHIC, but certify the insurance cover on a form upon request, or register with a German health insurance company (so-called "registration").

However, if you take up employment (or self-employment) in Germany, you must in any case insure yourself in Germany. We know, meh…

If you are insured in Germany...

… for example, through your parents in the family insurance, through the receipt of an orphan or half-orphan's pension or through an employment subject to compulsory insurance, you will receive the insurance confirmation from your health insurance company.

If you do not have such a health insurance yet...

… you will be subject to compulsory health insurance for students. For this purpose, particularly favorable premiums apply (take a look at the small box at the very end of this blog article).

If you have private health insurance (applies only to German citizens)...

… (for example, because one of your parents is a civil servant), you can be exempted from student health insurance. You can apply for this at our insurance partner TK by using this form).

To do so, you will need a proof of your existing health insurance. The TK will also advise you whether the exemption or the student insurance is cheaper for you. You will get the necessary certificate for the university from them as well.

Of course, there’s a catch

You can only take out the affordable health insurance for students up to the age of 30. If you are older, a voluntary health insurance is possible. It offers the same benefits, but is a bit pricier. In this case, it is best to get advice from our insurance partner, the TK. They won’t let you down!

Don’t hesitate to seek help

Do you have any questions about your health insurance or on how to get your insurance confirmation for the university? Then simply call the TK, send them an e-mail or use their chat. Sure thing they can also help you in English! Here you can find all their contact information.


All right? Okay, that was a lot of information, but we are sure you’re going to be all set for your studies. If you can’t get enough of bureaucratic processes and admin work, you should definitely check out the following article as well: Five steps for a careless start in Germany

Stay healthy!

What does insurance cost as a student?
The statutory contribution for health insurance for students is 76.04 Euros per month. There is also an additional contribution from the respective health insurance company. With the TK this is a favorable 5.21 Euros. Those who have health insurance in Germany are also covered by nursing care insurance. Students pay 22.69 Euros per month for this, while those who are at least 23 years old and without children pay 24.55 Euros (all values apply to 2020).
Actually, students have to pay the contributions for the whole semester in advance, so that they can get the insurance confirmation for the university. However, there is another way: If you grant the health insurance company a direct debit authorization from your account, the contribution is debited monthly.

Guest article by Techniker Krankenkasse